Many things in your home can catch on fire if they touch a flame or something hot.
Any open flame is dangerous. If possible, use battery-operated candles. If you use candles in your home, prevent a fire by making sure the below statements are true in your home!
- Put candles in sturdy holders.
- Place candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
- Make sure candles cannot be reached by children or pets.
- Blow out all candles if you leave the room, get sleepy, or go to bed.
Source for Content: U.S. Fire Administration
Smart phone chargers can and do cause fires! Look closely at this charger cord. The phone end was frayed, a condition all too typical of these popular devices. It was not plugged in to the phone at the time that it was discovered burning. This one was inside an automobile plugged into the car charger and laying idle on the console. This same thing can very easily occur in a house. These devices easily carry enough electrical current to start a fire! Always replace damaged or frayed charger cords. Never leave them plugged in when not in use. And never lay a charging phone on easily combustible surfaces, such as pillows, beds, couches or similar.
In a fire, seconds count. Seconds can mean the difference between residents of our community escaping safely from a fire or having their lives end in tragedy. That’s why this year’s Fire Prevention Week theme: “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” is so important. It reinforces why everyone needs to have an escape plan.