Home Safety Inspections
Request a home safety check by calling your local fire station or by emailing us.
The St. Matthews Fire Department offers free home safety checks to residents of the Fire District.
Let the fire department assess your:
- Home evacuation plan
- Frequency of furnace and fireplace cleaning
- Safe storage of flammable materials
- Smoke alarm placement
- Space heaters
- Extension cord use
- Safety practices in kitchens and around water
- Smoking habits
- Other possible fire hazards
If there are children in the home, the Fire Department will check:
- Keeping medicines, cleaning fluids and sharp objects in a latched or locked cabinet or drawer
- Using toddler gates at the top and bottom of stairs in homes with a child under 3 years old
- Home fire evacuation plans and fire drills
- Keeping window blind and drapery cords secured
- Determining if there is chipping or peeling paint
- Using safe furniture and toys
- Assessing general safety precautions to prevent accidents and injuries
Home Fire Safety Inspection Checklist
A fire can occur in any part of your home. Use the following checklist to do a safety audit.
- Are all matches and lighters kept out of children’s reach?
- Is “NO SMOKING IN BED” a rule of the house?
- Is your family aware that ash trays should NEVER be emptied into waste baskets?
- Are there plenty of large, safe ash trays throughout the house?
- Do you check for smoldering cigarette butts in the furniture?
- Are appliances checked periodically for good operating conditions?
- Are you careful not to run extension cords under rugs or over hooks and nails?
- When using extension cords for appliances, does the gauge of both cords match?
- Are electrical outlets overloaded?
- Do you keep rubbish cleaned out of attics, garages and yards?
- Is paint kept in tightly closed metal containers?
- Are flammable liquids stored in safety cans and kept away from heat and children?
- Have you make it a rule to NEVER use flammable liquids for cleaning clothes or start fires?
- Are oily rags kept in a tightly sealed container?
- Is your clothes dryer vent clean and properly installed?
Heating and Cooking
- If you have a fireplace, is a screen always placed in front of it?
- Is the filter for your forced air heater changed yearly and the venting cleaned?
- Are furnaces and wood burning stoves in good repair and located away from combustible walls and ceilings?
- Do you have the fireplace chimney cleaned and checked periodically?
- Do you make sure combustibles are not stored near the stove, heater or fireplace?
- Do your children keep a safe distance from flame and heat sources?
- Have you installed a smoke alarm outside every sleeping area or in every bedroom on each floor?
- Do you test your smoke alarm(s) every month?
- Do you replace the battery of your battery operated smoke alarm every year?
Fire Escape Plan
- Does your family have a fire escape plan prepared?
- Is your escape plan posted and regularly practiced?
- Does each bedroom have TWO exits?
- Do you have a meeting place so you will know everyone is outside and safe?
- Are emergency response numbers posted on all telephones?
- Is your address on or near your telephone?
- Do all family members know how to dial 9-1-1 for fire, police or medical emergencies?
- Do you show your babysitter/guests your home escape routes and review 9-1-1- with her/him?
- Does your family (and babysitter) know the first rule in fire emergencies: Get everyone out fast and don’t go back inside.
- Do you have a UL or FM approved fire extinguisher in your home?
- Do you take it out two times a year and shake it to keep the powder from packing?
- Have all dried grass cuttings, tree trimmings and weeds been removed from your property?
- Can you see your house number from the street?
Home Fire Safety Inspection Checklist
Resources for Home
- Free Home Safety Inspections
- Home Fire Sprinklers
- Escape Plans
- Free Smoke Alarms