Youth Fire Prevention and Intervention
Advice for Parents
- Ensure matches and lighters are stored out of children’s reach, preferably in a high, locked cabinet.
- Teach young children to tell a grown-up if they see matches or lighters.
- If your child expresses curiosity about fire or has been playing with fire, calmly but firmly explain that matches and lighters are tools for adults only.
- Use only lighters designed with child-resistant features,
- Install smoke alarms on every floor and in every bedroom your home.
- Make a fire escape plan and practice it with your family.
- If you suspect your child is intentionally setting fires or playing with fire, get help.